What's In Today's Episode:
Every single one of the kickass ladies I’ve had on the podcast has changed my life and my perspective in some way. I’ve yet to sit down for a conversation and not walk away inspired. And our guest today is no different!
This episode is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Nakeia Homer shares her story of growing up in the projects of New Jersey, and after a number of challenges, launching a career as a songwriter, speaker, and inspirational writer.
Born to teenage parents, her struggles were many. She was exposed to so much at an early age, but she chose something different. Nakeia has accomplished some incredible things, but what’s truly inspiring behind her story is her heart.
Nakeia shares the un-pretty realities of...
- Growing up in the projects with teenage parents
- Being exposed to drugs, violence, and promiscuity at a young age
- Setting big goals at only 10 years old
- Leaving a secure job to pursue a career in songwriting
- Being diagnosed with kidney disease
And the crazy, inspiring ways she...
- Decided to get out of the projects and change her life
- Learned to stop complaining and love the life she was already living
- Quit her career after 15 years and began writing music professionally
There is so much power in the perspective that Nakeia shares. Her words are a brilliant reminder of the amazing ability we have to choose our own lives. You are not alone if you feel lost and confused and unhappy with your life. And you don’t have to keep feeling that way. Nakeia shares her beautiful life credo that helped her turn a life that she hated into a life that she loved.
In this episode, you'll learn the GRIT + GLITTER of:
- Choosing to be the person you were created to be
- Relating to the people you love when they’re struggling
- Ending the cycle of complaining and loving the life you have, no matter what
- Leaving a stable career to pursue your passion
- Forgoing a balanced life for passions you’re committed to exploring
The Raw Truth of Nakeia Homer:
“The circumstances may be different, but the choices are the same. Are you going to be who it is you were created to be or what your parents say you should be?”
“I think that we all, no matter if you come from the projects or the suburbs, are faced with the opportunity to choose to do or not to do, to be or not to be.”
“Remember a time when you made a wrong choice. That is where those who are struggling find themselves most of the time.”
“The things that we complain about are the things in our heart that we know we can change.”
“Because it’s authentically from my heart, it’s something that some woman somewhere has experienced.”
“You don’t need balance, you just need commitment to whatever you’ve investing in.”
“Remember the last time you thought it was too hard and too difficult and you did it anyway?”
Share your favorite inspiration from this episode on social media + use #GritandGlitterPodcast!
Help me hit my next podcast milestone!
Feeling inspired week after week? You can do 3 easy things to help me continue to grow the podcast!
1. Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, so you won’t miss a single episode.
2. If you're loving the podcast, please leave a 5-star review on iTunes! I read every single comment!
3. Share the podcast with your friends, especially if you think it could help them, and spread the #GritandGlitterPodcast love.
Your support helps me continue to grow the podcast and do inspiring things in this space! Already done all 3? You’re a rockstar! Thank you!
Share your story in the comments.
Can you relate to choosing a better life for yourself? I love getting to hear from you about your own stories. Comment below and share your story with me about a time when you made a choice that became a defining moment in your life.