WHAT'S BEHIND THE HOMEPAGE?
In this weekly series, you'll get to know the badass female entrepreneurs (and businesses) behind the homepage.
If you haven't yet joined the homepage, we randomly select one lady to feature every week.
Meet Violeta Nedkova
Violeta is a coach for multi-passionate and creative rebels. As she says, she helps tune out the BS of the world, do what you love, and do it your way. Easier said than done sometimes, though.
The journey to building a biz like a rebel is littered with self-limiting beliefs.
And even now, as a coach, Violeta finds herself still navigating through those beliefs as she moves back home with her parents and continues to work on owning her work and believing that it's enough.
Put on your courage pants. I know you've got 'em. And saddle up rebels. This is one hell of a convo.
BEFORE WE DIVE RIGHT IN, LET'S START OUT WITH A QUICK ROUND OF THE QUESTION GAME…
IF YOU COULD LIVE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY, WHICH WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
I'd live in a place with endless beaches and where they speak English. So, maybe Australia.
YOU WALK INTO A COFFEE SHOP. WHAT DO YOU ORDER?
I'd probably order a latte. It's my fave. Oh, and a chocolate chip cookie.
SKY-DIVING OR SHARK-DIVING?
Ick! I would never dive with sharks. I'm too afraid. Sky-diving would be wonderful, though.
1. TELL US ABOUT YOUR BIZ IN 3 SENTENCES OR LESS.
My business is all about helping creative rebels be rebels ... tune out the BS of the world, do what you love, and do it your way. I help creatives start businesses that they love, build brands that stand out, and grow them in authentic and creative ways. I offer coaching programs, digital products, and rebel curations.
2. NOW, LET'S START AT THE BEGINNING. WHAT'S YOUR STORY?
My story ... do we have enough time for this?
Basically, I graduated in Psychology, but I had no intention of doing anything other than my creative side projects, which I had been doing my whole life.
Somewhere around 2013, I started a blog that changed everything. I was able to stop taking jobs and work from home as a marketing freelancer. But in the summer of 2015, I found myself disillusioned with marketing ... mostly all the sleazy tactics ... and I promised to never do marketing again.
That same year, I sought the help of a coach, who reminded me that I can do marketing my way and that was the beginning of everything: my brand, my business, the creative rebels. I was lit on fire, and I dedicated my life to helping fellow rebels remember they're rebels and stop adhering to the world and compromising on what they believe in. We all fall into the trap of conformity, but it's time we showed the world what we really have to say and do.
And that's the short of it ... I started my business in 2015, and it's changed a little since then (become more niche) but I'm really happy with the way it is now. I think it's so important to find what fits you and do it all the way, no matter what the experts or your self-doubt say. I am so grateful for this amazing journey, and there's so much more to learn!
3. YOUR LIFE + BIZ JOURNEY IS A BOOK. WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE CHAPTER YOU'RE CURRENTLY IN?
The name of my current chapter is Rewiring.
I'm at a point where I'm noticing the limiting beliefs I have, and I am rewiring my brain with better beliefs about myself and what I am capable of. I have always thought whatever I was or did wasn't "enough," and with that thinking I couldn't be all that I knew I could be. Jen Sincero's book, You Are a Badass, was the exact thing I needed to snap out of it, and I'm still working on it.
4. WHAT'S BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF YOUR ENTREPRENEURIAL JOURNEY SO FAR?
The most difficult part was moving back in with my parents.
I know, so millennial, right?
Like most people, I thought that doing that would be a sign of failure, so I kept changing jobs and getting into some miserable situations just because I was too proud to go home and recharge. I'm so glad that I eventually swallowed my pride and did it, because not only are my parents so supportive, but I really needed the time to find my footing and deal with some health stuff.
5. WE'RE ALL BATTLING DOUBTS EVERY DAY AS ENTREPRENEURS. WHAT'S BEEN ONE OF THE BIGGEST DOUBTS YOU'VE DEALT WITH?
My biggest fear is that I'll never show the people who are rooting for me and my critics that I can do this.
My biggest doubt is that I can't do this. And I've been working on this recently because if you don't have faith in yourself, you're turning your story into a bad self-fulfilling prophecy.
I think that your confidence in yourself is much more important than any business tool you can purchase. Because you run the business.
I always had such unfailing belief in what I did that it took working with a coach to realize the problem wasn't my belief or commitment or hard work. It was that there was a big piece missing ... one that could not be replaced by anything else. And that piece was believing in myself.
With the help of some loving meditation and affirmations, I am back on my way to loving, respecting, and believing in myself the way I should have done my entire life. No more excuses, it's go time.
6. SHARING IS CARING. AND THERE'S SO MANY BADASS RESOURCES FOR FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS. WHAT ARE 3 OF YOUR FAVES?
You hit my soft spot! I've been collecting resources for rebels for the past couple of years and telling me I can only recommend 3 is like choosing my favorite cat (I care for 30!). OK, let's see if I can do this...
- The 4 States of Being by Beth Grant: This is a book everybody needs to read, and it's free. You know how we are all hustling and exhausted and stressed all the time? This book gives you a new perspective on it. It's truly a timely read.
- The Crossroads of Should and Must by Elle Luna: Elle is just so insightful and lovely. She left her well-paying job and high-achieving career to do something that made her heart sing ... painting! Her story is a reminder to all of us that there comes a time to make the hard choice between what your brain says you should do and what your heart truly yearns for. She's my hero for choosing the latter.
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero: This book needs to be read by every woman on this planet, period. It's going to unleash your inner badass and make you laugh so much. I found true inspiration in there and it helped me change my life for the better.
7. IF YOU COULD GIVE YOURSELF ONE PIECE OF ADVICE RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Slow down, don't push so hard, and remember, you're doing a great job!!!
8. WHAT'S YOUR ELEVATOR PITCH FOR WHY YOU SHOULD CHASE YOUR DREAMS?
Most people have midlife crises because they never stopped to figure out what they really wanted. Are you going to be the person who's doing what you love and fully living, even if it involves risk and heartbreak? Or are you going to be one of those miserable sods who has regrets on your deathbed? What message will you give your children ... that it's OK to live by the rules and lead an underwhelming life? Or that everybody deserves a chance to be fully present in this world and just be happy?
The choice is always yours. You're either going to find a way to go for it or you're going to find excuses not to. Don't waste another minute. Choose your side, now.
I am Violeta Nedkova. I don't always believe in myself. And I am the real female entrepreneur.
Violeta Nedkova is a coach for multipassionate and creative rebels, who wants to help you start your own creative business and grow it your way. She believes that there is always a way: YOUR WAY. Because everything you do should be as unique, authentic, and creative as YOU.