HI SWEETS! YOU'RE HERE FOR ANOTHER POST IN OUR BEHIND THE HOMEPAGE SERIES!
It's a badass weekly series that's equal parts coffee date (go ahead and refill your mug!) and meeting new friends and all the parts real + inspiring.
So, cozy up + get to know the badass female entrepreneurs (and businesses) behind the homepage.
MEET EBONY NICHOLS
"I am Ebony. I am a big ball of organized chaos. And I am the real female entrepreneur."
As kids, it's so easy to pursue what you love. You have all of this time and no one standing over you with this "adult" expectation to "figure it out". Creativity and art are highly encouraged when we're young. Then, something happens between childhood and becoming a teen and most of us end up leaving that creative spark behind.
After spending years in the world of academia, though, Ebony found her way back to that creative spark. And the rest is history ... or, well, history in the making.
Need some inspiration to find your creative spark again?
BEFORE WE DIVE RIGHT IN, LET'S START OUT WITH A QUICK ROUND OF THE QUESTION GAME…
WHAT'S ONE THING YOU MUST DO BEFORE GOING TO BED EVERY NIGHT?
I find something to binge watch. I wish I had a more enlightened answer, but ... nope!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS: TOTALLY DOWN OR THEY'RE TOTALLY CRAP?
Totally down! Resolutions give you hope even if it’s for a brief moment. There’s nothing wrong with that.
AS A CHILD, WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GREW UP?
Honestly … a judge. But only because I thought the judge on the TV show my grandma watched was so awesome. My first day in poli sci during undergrad woke me up.
1. TELL US ABOUT YOUR BIZ IN 3 SENTENCES OR LESS.
Announce Divinely is a party brand that encourages chic and charming communication and celebration. Our products are designed to equip the perfect social moment whether it’s a celebration for self or others.
2. NOW, LET'S START AT THE BEGINNING. WHAT'S YOUR STORY?
I come from a family of creatives, so designing and planning celebrations were my childhood hobbies. I was absolutely obsessed with the idea of creating something that was pretty but also practical because it shared information. However, I never thought that I could actually do this as an adult. All of those creatives I watched growing up had a career or job that did not focus on those talents. So, I just knew that I had to find something else to do for the rest of my life.
"Going back to my roots and creatively expressing myself made my heart sing, so I finally decided to step out on faith and design cards with all of these sayings that I had stored in my phone over the years."
When I went to college, I fell head over heels with the social aspect of cultivating relationships with different people. I ultimately received a postgraduate degree, but I realized that the academia setting was not satisfying for me. So, I just took a break from everything and really got serious about finding out what made me happy.
Going back to my roots and creatively expressing myself made my heart sing, so I finally decided to step out on faith and design cards with all of these sayings that I had stored in my phone over the years. Now, two years later, our product line has expanded to stationery, notepads, and party decor. I could not be more ecstatic!
3. YOUR LIFE + BIZ JOURNEY IS A BOOK. WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE CHAPTER YOU'RE CURRENTLY IN?
Grit and Grace.
"Sometimes, I’m a horrible boss to myself because I don’t let myself get away with anything! Overcoming that whirlwind of emotions is still a battle, but I’m learning to embrace it."
4. WHAT'S BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF YOUR ENTREPRENEURIAL JOURNEY SO FAR?
The most difficult part has been being OK with the path that I have chosen. That’s why I named my current life chapter grit and grace. I work hard daily at being very intentional about every aspect of my business, but I also struggle with giving myself grace. Sometimes, I’m a horrible boss to myself because I don’t let myself get away with anything! Overcoming that whirlwind of emotions is still a battle, but I’m learning to embrace it.
5. WE'RE ALL BATTLING DOUBTS EVERY DAY AS ENTREPRENEURS. WHAT'S BEEN ONE OF THE BIGGEST DOUBTS YOU'VE DEALT WITH?
My biggest fear is becoming stagnant. I’m always asking myself, “Are you doing enough? Could you execute this better? Do you really know what you’re doing?" I am so afraid of being in the same place next year that I am today.
6. SHARING IS CARING. AND THERE'S SO MANY BADASS RESOURCES FOR FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS. WHAT ARE 3 OF YOUR FAVES?
- The Real Female Entrepreneur podcast: A lot of my fears and doubts were quieted when I realized that I was not this isolated person on an island in the middle of nowhere. Whether you are a creative or just trying to stay afloat dealing with your vulnerabilities, this podcast is LIFE!
- Pinterest: My Pinterest boards are how I get ideas out of my head and onto something concrete so I can start moving from an abstract state. Pinterest is for more than recipes or your next manicure idea!
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle: It is my favorite childhood story, but it inspires me today because it is about an ordinary person doing something absolutely extraordinary. Even if we feel like we don’t have everything that someone else has or we have doubts out the wazoo, we can still do some amazing things!
"My biggest fear is becoming stagnant. I’m always asking myself, “Are you doing enough? Could you execute this better? Do you really know what you’re doing?" I am so afraid of being in the same place next year that I am today."
7. IF YOU COULD GIVE YOURSELF ONE PIECE OF ADVICE RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Sprinkle some confetti and move on!
8. WHAT'S YOUR ELEVATOR PITCH FOR WHY YOU SHOULD CHASE YOUR DREAMS?
You are the only person who has your exact combination of experiences, triumphs, downfalls, talents, and gifts. You know you’re capable of being absolutely amazing so let the world have it! We’re waiting!
Hey y’all! I’m Ebony Nichols and I am the owner and lead creator of Announce Divinely. I am obsessed with the charming moments in life and love to design and make all the things that make celebrations tick! When I’m not designing, I love doing fun things with my nieces and nephews, finding new places to dine, and binge watching any new television show.