WHAT'S BEHIND THE HOMEPAGE?
In this weekly series, you'll get to know the badass female entrepreneurs (and businesses) behind the homepage.
If you haven't yet joined the homepage, we randomly select one lady to feature every week.
Meet Crystal Corbin.
Crystal Corbin is an events designer based out of Cincinnati, Ohio and is the founder of The Crystal Collection. She styles everything from intimate weddings to branded styled shoots.
But life and business haven't always been beautiful flowers and dreams-come-true.
Crystal launched her event planning business a year ago. But a month after launching her biz as a side hustle, everything changed. After a car accident, Crystal found herself learning to walk again and without a full-time job. A lot can change in a year, though. And one year later, Crystal is walking, again and is getting ready to take her business full-time.
Now grab a glass of your fave. and get to know the lady behind the biz...
BEFORE WE DIVE RIGHT IN, LET'S START OUT WITH A QUICK ROUND OF THE QUESTION GAME…
YOU WALK INTO A COFFEE SHOP. WHAT DO YOU ORDER?
I order a white chocolate mocha latte with coconut milk!
ARE YOU A NIGHT OWL OR AN EARLY BIRD?
Definitely an early bird.
IT'S GAME NIGHT. WHAT GAME ARE YOU CHOOSING?
Clue - this is seriously one of my favorite games. Each game is always different, and it requires you to think. Loooove it!
1. TELL US ABOUT YOUR BIZ IN 3 SENTENCES OR LESS.
The Crystal Collection is an event styling and planning business. Half of the business is all about weddings and special events. The other half is all about styling and creative direction, specifically with photo shoot styling.
2. NOW, LET'S START AT THE BEGINNINGS. WHAT'S YOUR STORY?
Since college, I knew I wanted to do something I loved. Throughout college, I worked one too many part-time jobs from an esthetician, to retail, to working in non-profit. I got a lot of crap about always switching my goals and along with that, I switched my major 5 times while trying to figure it all out.
In 2013, I graduated from the University of Toledo with my bachelors in individualized studies. Basically, I was so all over the place, that I created my own degree. It was a mix of marketing, communications, and event coordination. Right out of college, I started working in the non-profit world. I would work with different organizations to help plan fundraisers/galas, help with social media and marketing, and do lots of volunteer management.
Fast forward to March 2016 ... I finally moved away from home and took my talents to the Greater Cincinnati area. I was working as a Community Engagement Specialist for a food bank. I loved it! I got to handle social media, plan events, and manage all of our volunteer programming. But while I loved the non-profit world, I wanted to do something more intimate.
So, in July of that year, I decided to start my side hustle as a wedding planner, and I joined The Rising Tide Society.
Fast Forward again to August 3rd, 2016.
The day that changed my life forever - I was in a car accident. I ended up with a broken femur, a fractured hip, a few rods and pins, and almost a year of recovery (which is still ongoing).
My life was turned upside down.
I had so many questions ... Why me? Why now? When was I going to be able to walk? How was I going to work? And how in the hell was I going to be an event planner when one of my legs didn't work AT ALL?
I was devastated and on bed rest for quite some time. In the midst of all of this, my job let me go due to "staffing changes."
Again, I felt broken!
I had no car, no job, and I couldn't walk. Every cell in my body was pissed!! I did not want to be helpless and was not going to just live off my family. I was determined to get better and still live out my dream.
In late August, I filed for my LLC. In November, I started marketing my launch and upgraded from using a walker to a cane! By January, I was walking with a limp but without a cane. And I couldn't have been happier. In March of 2017, I launched The Crystal Collection. And now a year later, you can't even tell that a year ago I couldn't walk (not to mention I'm able to wear some heels again!). And The Crystal Collection will be going full-time in September!
3. YOUR LIFE + BIZ JOURNEY IS A BOOK. WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE CHAPTER YOU'RE CURRENTLY IN?
The Evolution of Determination
4. WHAT'S BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF YOUR ENTREPRENEURIAL JOURNEY SO FAR?
The most difficult part of my business journey so far has been money. Most people think you start a business to make money but in actuality, you have to have money to start a business. Even then, it still takes time to build your revenue. It has taken me a while to come to this understanding but when you do start getting paid, oh, is it worth it!
5. WE'RE ALL BATTLING DOUBTS EVERY DAY AS ENTREPRENEURS. WHAT'S BEEN ONE OF THE BIGGEST DOUBTS YOU'VE DEALT WITH?
One of my biggest doubts is not being good enough. Am I good enough for my brides? Am I good enough for other vendors to refer me? Am I good enough on social media? Is my website good enough? Oh this list goes on and on!
6. SHARING IS CARING. AND THERE'S SO MANY BADASS RESOURCES FOR FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS. WHAT ARE 3 OF YOUR FAVES?
- The Real Female Entrepreneur: You need to listen! Whenever I need inspiration or info on a topic or my career, I come here and listen. It lets me escape my mind and connect with all the other ladies who are running this world!
- Girl Boss by Sophia Amoruso: Sophia was a girl who was lost but found her way - her own way and not what others wanted! And I think if we could have just an ounce of that courage, we could move mountains.
- The Rising Tide Society: This movement has given me courage and brought friends my way that I love dearly. And no matter where you're at in your side hustle or full-time creative journey, they have unlimited resources. If it wasn't for this community, I don't think The Crystal Collection would have been as successful as it is.
7. IF YOU COULD GIVE YOURSELF ONE PIECE OF ADVICE RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Realize that you are great and you are enough! There is always going to be someone better or more knowledgeable but the fact that you are working towards your dream each day is ENOUGH!
8. WHAT'S YOUR ELEVATOR PITCH FOR WHY YOU SHOULD CHASE YOUR DREAMS?
The only person who can live their live for you, IS YOU! And to do that fully, you have to do what you love. Now, go do what you love!